Bernick's Family Fitness Series
Bernick’s is partnering with the St. Cloud Area Family YMCA, in conjunction with the St. Cloud Times and KCLD, to bring the Bernick’s Family Fitness Series to the community. The Bernick’s Family Fitness Series consists of four events throughout the year, aiming to increase the level of physical activity in families within the community.
The mission of the Bernick’s Family Fitness Series is to continue improving the health and wellness of our community through a series of fun, educational, and activity based seasonal family friendly fitness events that promote healthy living, youth development, and social responsibility. Following the YMCA’s mission of inclusiveness, every family will have equal opportunity to participate in these events, which are designed to target all families in the St. Cloud area, specifically those who are not currently physically active. What makes the Family Fitness Series different from other events in our community is that we will have activities that all ages and skill levels can participate in as a family.
To register for the events, please visit www.scymca.org.
The Bernick's Family Fitness Series 2014 events are:
- Winter Snow Games, February 16, 2014
- Ride and Roll, May 4, 2014
- Family Track and Field Day, July 27, 2014
- Wishbone Walk/Run, November 27, 2014
Bernick Family Foundation Grants Awarded
The Bernick Family Foundation is excited to that it has awarded more than $221,000 in grants focused on enriching the lives of youth and improving health through the Central Minnesota Community Foundation.
The latest round of grants supported the following community projects:
- $40,000 to the Boys and Girls Club of the Northland for renovation and furnishing for the Teen Center that serves 1,350 youth.
- $25,000 to the GREAT Theatre for the Bernick’s GREAT Theatre 2013-14 School Matinee Series.
- $20,000 to Catholic Charities for Cultivating Youth program that provides experiential learning gardening experiences for youth at the St. Cloud Children’s Home.
- $20,000 to Boys and Girls Club of Central Minnesota to implement Diplomas to Degrees, a college readiness program that helps youth from ages 13-18 to work toward high school graduation and prepare for college and careers.
- $12,000 to Serve Minnesota to provide one-on-one tutoring to 120 students in kindergarten through third grade students at Madison, Talahi, and Discovery elementary schools in St. Cloud.
- $11,500 to the Cardinal Athletic Foundation to enhance gym and outdoor facilities at Alexandria High School.
- $9,000 to the Minnesota Children’s Museum for Smart Play Spot, a three-dimensional, interactive early literacy learning environment that it will install at the Great River Regional Library in St. Cloud.
- $7,500 to Best Prep to provide scholarships for students in the Dresser area to participate in the Minnesota Business Venture business and career development camp program.
- $5,000 to the Granite City Gearheads program at Apollo High School for kits that students use to design and construct a robot and compete at the Robotics Competition.
In addition to the competitive grants, the Bernick Family Foundation provided $51,000 in ongoing support to a number of nonprofits, including the Central Minnesota Council of the Boy Scouts, CentraCare Health Foundation, St. Cloud Technical and Community College Foundation, United Way of Central Minnesota, Central Minnesota Community Foundation and College of St. Scholastica.
The Bernick Family Foundation also allocated an additional $20,000 to award in scholarships this spring for students pursuing two and four year college educations. To apply or learn more, visit CommunityGiving.org and click on Scholarships.
All the applicants were 501(c) (3) nonprofit organizations, schools or government entities serving communities in which Bernick’s provides services. The Community Foundation received 127 Letters of Inquiry for the grants that focus on youth and education or health and fitness. Funding could go toward capital projects, strategic investments in operations, and programmatic support.
The Bernick Family Foundation was established as a component of the Central Minnesota Community Foundation in 1989 to help the Bernick’s corporation and the Bernick family support organizations that reflect their core values, while providing leadership in responding to emerging community needs.